Compare The Top 10 Blogging Platforms
List of the Best Website Builders & Platforms for Blogging - March 2019
|#||Blogging Platform||Plans||Templates||Ease of Use||Score||Blogging Features||Get Started|
$4.50 – $24.50 a month
Wix Blog App, Multiple authors
Advanced SEO tools
No Free Account
$12 – $40 a month
Blog App, Multiple authors
Advanced SEO tools, RSS capabilities
Free stock image library
$3 – $45 a month
Wide range of professional blog themes
Advanced SEO & RSS plugins
$7.50 – $40 a month
Customizable layouts, fonts & colors
No Free Account
Schedule Blog Posts
$8 – $38 a month
Schedule Blog Posts
SEO tools, RSS capabilities
Simple blogging platform
Free blogspot.com domain
$12 – $36+ a month
Dynamic content filtering and sorting
'Related posts' modules for your blog
$8 – $49 a month
Custom Code for Blog Posts
Basic SEO, RSS capabilities
What is the Difference Between a Blogging Platform and a Website Builder?
Blogging platforms such as Blogger and Tumblr are great tools for an individual who wants to increase the notoriety of his/her writing. Such platforms offer bloggers a simple, fast way to get their content live, but in general, blogging platforms are designed for individuals, not businesses.
When it comes to blogging for business, blogging platforms can prove to be unreliable and ineffective for several reasons:
- Your blog will be published on the platform’s domain, using a branded URL (it cannot sit on your business’s domain).
- Content published on common blogging platforms is not owned by you, but by the platform you published on and migrating content to another platform later on can prove difficult.
- Blogging platforms offer limited template and customization options, so matching the design of your blog to that of your website could prove difficult.
- Blog content can be a powerful tool for attracting new users to your website as well as supporting their progression through your site’s conversion funnel.
- However, your blog posts won’t offer this value if published on a third-party platform.
So how should small businesses publish and manage their blog content? The solution to this quagmire is simple – use a content management system (CMS) or website builder with strong blogging features. With a website builder, you can publish blog posts on your business’s domain with unique, customized URLs, design the blog to match the design of your main website, link to the main content on your site and optimize posts for search engines.
There are a number of website builders such as Wix and Squarespace that have blogging features built directly into the platform. This way, you can host your blog on your website as an additional page, and it will appear in the navigation menu. This ensures visitors never have to leave your website, even to access your informative company blog.
How to Choose a Website Builder for Blogging?
Selecting a website builder that has advanced blogging tools is paramount. For instance, check that the platform offers tools for advanced SEO optimizations, mobile responsive templates and integrations with social media sharing widgets and Google Analytics.
There are also features such as inserting custom code to make advanced modifications to your blog, the ability to add multiple authors, and spellcheck – which can oftentimes be overlooked and lead to blogs that come off as unprofessional.
Here is a list of additional features to look out for when choosing a website builder for blogging purposes:
- A commenting system or capability for integration with popular commenting tools such as Disqus
- Social media integrations – both to encourage blog readers to follow social media pages and to share the blog content
- The ability to add media (Images and Videos)
- The ability to add blog contributors
- Adding categories to posts
- Search capabilities
- Post archive
- RSS feed
Most importantly, you want to make certain the website builder enables you to manage your site’s content easily and quickly. So don’t forget to check for standard website builder features such as a drag-and-drop editor, free hosting, customer support and a wide range of customizations and integrations/third-party apps.